Thursday, June 25, 2009

My favourite relaxing bars in Bangkok - Part 1

I like quiet relaxed bars (or pubs as us Brits usually call them) when I want to go out and unwind after spending the day working too hard. But in Bangkok it's not so easy to find a bar like that, much the same as in any major capital city I suppose.

However, if you walk about 400 meters down Sukhumvit Soi 4 in Nana (the small road in which the entrance to the world famous Nana Plaza can be found) in the direction away from the main Sukhumvit Road and BTS Sky Train, you'll find a left-turn junction which is Soi 6. There are a few small bars on the right-hand side of Soi 6, and one of those is amongst my favourite relaxing bars in Bangkok. It's called "The Bangkockney" (which I've sometimes seen misspelled elsewhere on the web as "The Bangkokney").

It is one of the nicest bars in the city in my opinion - quiet, friendly, fun, cheap, and always honest when it comes to totalling up your "check bill" at the end of your visit, no matter how much you've drunk and how drunk you consequently are.

It's small, but it has an excellent choice of beers and spirits, and has inside and outside seating, really powerful air-con if you need it, a pool table, and satellite TV with full sports coverage. Perfect! So if you're in Bangkok any time and get tired of all the noise, hustle and bustle, head over to there and chill out. Say hello to the owner, Kob (as I spell his Thai name), for me if he's there - which is often! :-)

No comments: