Friday, June 25, 2010

Doomwatch - a classic British sci-fi TV series remembered

Most people have heard of the BBC's sci-fi series Dr. Who, but how many of you out there have heard of Doomwatch, another great BBC sci-fi series that ran in the early 1970s?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:
"Doomwatch was a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC, which ran on BBC One between 1970 and 1972. The series was set in the then present-day, and dealt with a scientific government agency led by Doctor Spencer Quist (played by John Paul), responsible for investigating and combating various ecological and technological dangers.

"The series was followed by a feature film adaptation produced by Tigon British Film Productions and released in 1972, and a revival TV movie broadcast on Channel 5 in 1999."

I remember watching repeats of the earlier series when I was quite a bit younger, and I really enjoyed the episodes I got to see. The show was very unusual because it was the first television series I can recall to feature the dangers of uncontrolled real-world science and technology as its major plotlines.

I won't go on any more about this brilliant show here though, because if you want to know more there is an awesome blog dedicated to the series that I recommend you to read instead:

Doomwatch.org - For fans of the classic BBC TV series

No comments: