Friday, January 18, 2008

Blasts from the past - playable, then sabotaged

In case you didn't know, I absolutely love video games, be they console games, computer games or arcade games. Being a member of "Generation X" (i.e. I was born in the 1960s and grew up during the 1970s and early 80s) I got to play some of the very first arcade video games ever made, including: Breakout (released by Atari in 1976), Space Invaders (Taito/Midway, 1978), Asteroids (Atari, 1979), Galaxian (Namco/Midway, 1979), Lunar Lander (Atari, 1979), Battlezone (Atari, 1980), Missile Command (Atari, 1980), Defender (Williams Electronics, 1980), Centipede (Atari, 1980), Pac-Man (Namco/Midway, 1980), Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 1981) and Frogger (Konami & Sega/Gremlin, 1981). All-time classics, all of them.

Here are some online versions of some of those games for you to play:

Breakout (JavaScript)
Breakout (Flash)

Space Invaders (Flash)

Asteroids (Java)

Lunar Lander (Java)

Missile Command (Java)
Missile Command (Flash)

Centipede (Flash)

Pac-Man (Flash)

Donkey Kong (Flash)

Frogger (Flash)


I actually mention all of the above because (aside from the fact that the games are still great fun to play even today) it has recently been brought to my attention that there is a new website that - if, like me, you are a fan of classic video games - I recommend you to visit:

www.RetroSabotage.com

I think it's great fun, and it might well become a bit of a classic in its own right as it continues to grow. Check it out for yourself and see what you think.

No comments: