Sunday, January 20, 2008

Places to visit and things to do in Thailand - Part 2

Er, this is extremely overdue, given that I posted Part 1 way back in May 2006 when I first started this blog - oops! I'll do my best now to make this into a proper series of (hopefully) interesting and useful posts based on my various travels around Thailand during the intervening period since that first post.

So... another of my favourite places that I've visited in Thailand, and that I also thoroughly recommend you to visit if you are ever over here, is the beautiful Phimai Historical Park, situated 60 km north of the city of Nakhon Ratchasima, or approximately 320 km north-east of Bangkok. This is the site of some spectacular partially-restored 900 year-old Khmer Empire temple ruins that are very closely related to (and also slightly predate) the world-famous Angkor Wat, which is located about 250 km south of Phimai in Cambodia. As with Angkor Wat, which was the capital of the long-lost empire and which in its heyday was linked directly to Phimai by road, the temple at Phimai is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

See the Wikipedia.org page and the Art and Archaeology.com mini-site for some more detailed information plus some photos. There is also an excellent Computer Reconstruction of the whole Phimai temple site that can be viewed online.

I'll post another of my favourite Thai places to visit soon...

No comments: